Sunday, December 21, 2008

Snow day? More like 'Snow Week'

Desperate Housewives is not on, so I may as well catch up on blogging...

The snow in Seattle started last Saturday night. By Sunday morning, it had melted and then froze enough to leave a layer of ice on the roads. Only after dressing for church and warming the car did I realize it was worse then I thought. I could not get out of our driveway! Now, I did not aggressively attack that hill as well as Josh may have, but I did have two kids in the car and a wimpy attitude. Needless to say, we skipped church and had a snow day.
Monday was supposed to be Levi's birthday celebration at preschool. Preschool was cancelled Sunday night. Tuesday we made it to work fine and the roads were fine. It was bitterly cold though.

On Wednesday every meteorologist in the state was declaring an imminent storm. Don't go to work, they said, don't go to school. So the school districts complied and school was cancelled. Of course, nothing happened Wednesday. Nothing. Not until everyone went to bed that night...

This is what we saw when we woke up Thursday morning.


It may not look like a lot to you Alaskans, but it was enough for the city of Seattle to shut down. I think that day we got almost 3 inches. I ended up not having to go to work, so another snow day.

Levi loved it. Claire, not so much. Levi played outside for over two hours before coming in. He stayed in his snowshoes the entire time! He went out again after lunch.

By Friday, nothing had melted. In fact, I don't think Seattle has gotten above 25 degrees all week. Anyway, Friday schools were cancelled as well, as roads were still treacherous. This happened Friday afternoon. Saturday we knew another major storm was heading our way. Early Saturday morning the kids and I packed up for Kirkland to Christian and Veronica's house. They got even more snow than we did and had a spectacular sledding hill a short walk to their house.

That was a blast. A quick crash in the ditch brought things to an early close. Don't worry, the kids were fine. We left Kirkland by 2 and it was a good thing that we did. The snow started falling in Seattle by 4pm. And it just came and came. Vespers was cancelled that night and shortly before 9pm I got the call that Liturgy would be cancelled the following morning.

Here is what greeted us in the morning.


Sunday morning we had 5 inches at our house. Knowing we were getting tons of snow, Jule and I made plans the night before to go skiing. Cross country skiing! I took the kids to her house at 8am and her husband watched all four kids while we skied the ghost-town of Seattle. It was amazing!
I LOVE SNOW!!!!

2 comments:

James Marcel Patras said...

wow, your state is whimpy!

The Knight Family said...

James,
You should talk! How many car accidents have you been in due to the snow???
I believe two. And you are only 19!