Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I Voted...

Much to my family's dismay, I like Barack Obama. I have liked Barack Obama for a long time. I for one, am so excited to have finally voted for a winning ticket!

Josh and I rented the community center at our complex and had other Obama fans there to watch the election results and (fingers crossed) Obama's acceptance speech. We were not disappointed.

It turns out that I may be a minority; one poll says that only 25% of weekly church-goers support Obama. That is okay. I can understand why the majority of Christians do not support him. I understand that this issue primarily stems from his position on abortion. Unfortunately there are are a lot more issues to vote on and one has to take into account ALL of a candidates positions, not one.

My support for Obama rests on four major positions
1. Health Care
2. Education
3. Environment
4. Iraq

I may disagree with Obama in regards to stem cell research and abortion, but I agree with him on many more. We are a country that decided long ago that religion would be absent from government. And I think that as a country we should remember that Obama will only be President, not a dictator. He cannot wave a magic wand and pass sweeping liberal agendas that the majority of Americans disagree with.

My brother called me the Black Sheep of the family today. That is okay. I know that my views differ from theirs. I know that the majority of my family is quite depressed over the Obama victory. I feel their pain! I was there four years ago! Luckily, I have a family that, while our opinions differ, we still love each other. We still respect each other (I hope), and we still will be and are friends.

6 comments:

The Interrante Family said...

And you have a large extended family that voted just like for the same reasons. That's what's great about our family and this country. We are a melting pot of beliefs!

As far as possibly moving to New England; have no fear you have plenty of aunts, uncles and cousins here that would love to have you near.

; )

The Knight Family said...

You are sweet Kimmy!

The Interrante Family said...

sshhh! don't tell anyone. I have a reputation to keep!!

; )

Aaron said...

Not to mention that he will take all your money, all your guns, all your rights, etc. Having a liberal, socalist (and yes, he is a socalist) would be bearable. We have had terrible presidents before. But the addition of huge majorities in the House and Senate means that the Democrats will have the ability to remake the nation in their image. Worse than the Carter years.

And did you see how Russia is already pressuring him? He had better get it right, or this will be a long four years.

Aaron said...

But I still do love you and the kids, Naomi.

Jessica Thompson said...

Yes, we did! Shhh...I think we're the only two people from the old AK crowd that voted for Obama. :) But I am proud and so excited! Thinking of you as you make these big life decisions coming up. Tell Josh hi and tell your boy that my boy misses him!