Monday, November 24, 2008

At least I can knead

I finally got my Thanksgiving assignment last night. Yes, Thanksgiving is three days away, and I was just asked last night to lovingly prepare a dish that all would enjoy.

Here is a piece of information about me that some may not know. I love to cook. I love to bake. And, if my may pat myself on my own back, I am rather good at both. So, honestly, I expected a challenge. Perhaps three.

That is why I am a bit shocked at my assignment. I was asked to bring bread. Not any bread, mind you. Because I could have made something killer! Maybe a loaf with whole cloves of roasted garlic in. Or bread with olives and spices. No, I as asked to bring Finnish Cardamon Bread.

Don't get me wrong; this bread is fabulous, amazing, delicious. Soft and sweet; the perfect bread combination. But it is also something that I make all the time. It is super easy. The hard part is braiding the dough. I am a girl; I was born knowing how to braid.

To me, Thanksgiving is the perfect time to try new recipes, new ingredients, new meals. I love doing new things. Like brussels sprouts. I think they are a totally under appreciated vegetable. And squash. And sweet potatoes. Alas, these are off limits at the Knight Thanksgiving celebration. But to the rest of the Thanksgiving party, it is the perfect time to have the exact same dinner that they have been having for the past twenty Thanksgivings.

Oh well, I will make my bread, and I will be thankful for all that I do have. Because, even if the Knight Thanksgiving dinner has been exactly the same since I joined the family almost eight years ago... I know the company will be entertaining, my kids will be happy, my husband will be full, and my palate will be extremely satisfied.

One more thing to be thankful for... I did not get my sister-in-law's assignment... salad!

P.S. I am going to sneak in some brussels sprouts.

No comments: