Friday, April 29, 2011

The Whole Name Thing

So I have been thinking a lot lately about Internet security, privacy, and all the crazies out in the world. I do not want to make this blog private, but something just rubs me the wrong way that ANYBODY in the world can look here and find out some basic information about my family.

Of course, I realize that those crazies can only do that because I choose to post a blog with all that information. But I am sure there is a way to minimize our exposure, while keeping an open blog.

Looking at other friends blogs, I noticed that there are quite a few who do not use first names. They use the first initial, or some sort of a cute nickname. I am not a fan of the plain ol' initial approach (no offense), but had a hard time coming up for nicknames for my family.

So for a couple of weeks I have been mulling it over... what word describes my baby girl? My big boy? My husband? Myself?

And I think I have come up with the answer.

Baby Girl will be Peaches
Big Boy will be Slim
Husband will be Hurricane
I (of course) will be Red

Naturally, it will take me awhile to go through all my past blog posts and reflect this change. I may completely forget and this whole post will be mute. Oh well.

On another note, tons of stuff has been happening at the house lately.

Our patio is totally mortared in place and about 90% grouted. That part should be completed this morning. The next step is to clean it really well and then to seal it.

We adult-ized (not sure what the term is) our main bathroom. I was sick of the frog soap-pump and the tropical shower curtain. Plus, the lovely folks that we bought the house from, did not have the greatest styling taste. The towel rods and toilet paper were in a gold and silver combination. Ugly. So a new shower curtain, towel rods, light fixtures and some touch up paint, makes for a completely new and modern bathroom!

My brother and his wife are coming tomorrow for a week so I have been cleaning and organizing in anticipation of their arrival. They get Slim's room, so I am transferring the important toys (legos) to Peaches' room.

The day after my brother leaves, our good friends from Spokane but now from Utah are arriving. They are driving a motor home here! My kids are SO excited to see our Spokane neighbors!

Finally, we decided it was time to enter the two-car family world.

We bought our Toyota in September because the Dodge needed some massive work. Well, we finally got enough money to do some repairs. Hurricane (Hubby) did some, but the dealership and the brake shop did the rest. It will be nice to have the second car especially with company coming!

Pictures coming soon!

1 comment:

alicegwen said...

I agree with your concerns, Red. They are valid. Although it is unlike you to appropriate the best pseudonym for yourself -- so short and meaningful. Though for Esposo, I'd have thought that something like Himicane rather than Hurricane would be...well more suitable; or something less genderified.

And please give X and Y a kiss from us, when they get there.
L,
D