Sunday, July 25, 2010

Super Salad

Seems like lately, every time I log into Facebook, I am reading about another Alaska friend getting their salmon on. Reaching their limit, cleaning and canning salmon, filling up their freezers, and of course, having a blast camping in the process. Secretly, I am jealous. There is nothing better than fresh Alaska salmon. And yes, it is possible to purchase it here in the Pacific Northwest, IF you want to pay $25 per pound. Yikes! There is an entire industry dedicated to flying fresh salmon straight from the fishing lines/nets to your local Seattle grocery store.

It is usually so overpriced, we usually end up buying the frozen fillets (thank you Trader Joe's). As a good former-Alaskan, I refuse to buy farm-raised salmon. NEVER.

Anyway, I made this salad for dinner the other night and it was seriously to die for. I thought I would post it for the Alaskans who are rich in abundance of fresh/frozen/canned salmon.

FARMER'S SALAD with grilled salmon (from Cuisine at home)

for the salad:
1 T canola oil
1 T lemon juice
1/2 t Dijon mustard
pinch of salt
2 cups mixed salad greens
1/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
1/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
1/4 cup thinly sliced cucumber
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/4 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup canned chickpeas
3 T crumbled goat cheese

for the shallots & salmon:
1 cup thinly sliced shallots
1/3 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 T chili powder
1 t black pepper
1 cup peanut oil
4 salmon fillets
2 T canola oil
salt & pepper

Whisk together 1 T canola oil, lemon juice, Dijon, and salt.

Toss greens, bell pepper, carrot, cucumber, onion, tomatoes, and chickpeas in a large bowl; set aside.

Soak shallots in buttermilk for 30 minutes. Combine flour, chili powder, and black pepper in a resealable plastic bag. Drain shallots and add to flour mixture in bag. Seal bag; shake to coat shallots.

Preheat grill to medium-high heat.

Heat peanut oil in a pot to 360 degrees; shake shallots to remove excess flour and fry them in batches (to avoid overcrowding) in oil until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer shallots to a paper-towel lined plate.

Brush fillets with 2 T canola oil and season with salt and pepper; grill, covered, until cooked through and fillets release easily from the grate, about 4 minutes per side for medium doneness.

Toss salad with vinaigrette and divide between 2 plates. Top salad with a salmon fillet and fried shallots. Garnish both salads with goad cheese.


Yum. This salad was amazing. Josh, who eats salad because he knows they are good for him, loved it. I, of course, made a much bigger salad and made some other changes:

1. made a balsamic vinaigrette
2. added more veggies (yellow pepper, purple cabbage, etc)
3. did not use peanut oil to fry shallots, just whatever I had on hand
4. used feta cheese with herbs instead of goat cheese

I really wish I had taken a picture of the salad; it was so pretty with the colorful veggie salad topped with a beautiful salmon fillet, which was topped with fried shallots. I am sure that I will make it again, as my whole family ate it. (Levi & Claire think all salads are Cesar salads, so their dressing is always Cesar!) I will take photos then! Meanwhile, try it! Let me know how your family liked this incredible salad!

4 comments:

Shauna said...

Uh, Wow! I am so missing the salmon Brannon's dad buys at the Pike! My mouth is watering!!!

Becca said...

Yay, for healthy recipes!! I will try it. Post more, post more!

The Murray's said...

oooh! That sound to die for! Saving to my recipes! Thanks!

Andrea said...

Yum-o! Thanks for the fab recipe!