Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Diets

I have not eaten in three days.

On Saturday night I was hit by a nasty intestinal thing. I was diagnosed with this problem about six years ago, and have managed to avoid any serious outbreaks since then. Luckily, this disease is easily managed by diet and exercise. Basically the diet consists of: lots of fruit, veggies, whole grains, water, and fiber and not a lot of red meat and processed foods. Sounds like how we all should be eating right?

Well, after the diagnoses, Josh and I did a fairly good job of eating the right foods and being healthy. Then we had kids. And they grew up. Although our diet has slowly morphed away from this ideal way of eating, I would still not classify ourselves as 'bad' eaters. We still rarely drink soda, we have red-meat maybe once a week, and candy and potato chips are basically non-existent in our house.

And, I would not even classify Levi and Claire as picky eaters. Trust me, I have seen picky eaters! Levi loves all fruits and Clarie's favorite veggies are edamame, green beans, and broccoli. But I have noticed, as they have gotten older, I have gotten lazier. And I have gotten lazier in the processed food department. I blame Costco really. Going down the frozen isles is fun: chicken nuggets, corn dogs, and pot stickers. They are all so tasty; and so easy!

But after not eating for three days and remembering how painful this condition is, Josh and I are both willing to jump back on the healthy living diet train. I planned out our weekly menu on Sunday night and I am hoping to get into a routine of doing all the weekly grocery shopping on Monday. I will make some sort of fish dish once a week and the same for a red-meat dish.

I am really going to try to avoid purchasing too much processed food. I mean, I cannot go completely cold turkey, and I deserve at least a bit of a break right?

In other news, I am in the process of dealing with our former landlord over our security deposit. Seems he "forgot" that I gave him a certain amount when we signed our lease and that amount conveniently works in his favor to the tune of $100. I have since pointed out to him the correct amount, including the checks and amounts, which all support my claim that he owes me $100, and he is not returning my calls or texts.

This is on top of the fact that he returned my security deposit over a week late. Washington State law gives a landlord 14 days to return the security deposit less any repairs. He got me my check nine days late, and it was short.

I really hate to take the guy to small claims court, although I will if he continues to ignore me and not return my money. The only good thing would be that we would have to go to Spokane again, and we would get to see our old neighbors! (and our neighbor is in law school and would make an excellent witness!)

3 comments:

Aaron said...

You have a big freezer, use it! Make two meatloafs and freeze one, buy those cheap throw away foil bake pans. Spend one day to make Mom's enchiladas, lazagnia, etc. Then you can just pull one out of the freezer in the morning, let it thaw a bit, and cook it in the oven. Less work, less mess.

The Murray's said...

Ah man... It was the traveling that did it Nom! You know how flights mess us up... Not to mention, we didn't eat all that healthy when you were here. =( I totally know the pain you're going through! XOX

Andrea said...

Look up Pecan crusted tilapia. It was very delish. Costco up here sells tilapia individually wrapped and frozen in large quantities. It comes in very handy this way!