Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Take that Spokane Recycling Dude!

So, we have established that Spokane has arcane recycling rules. They will not take cereal boxes, but will take the brown cardboard that my lunch meat was packed in. They will not take milk boxes, but will take milk jugs.

After living in Seattle and being able to recycle most things, this change has been difficult. My solution? I am storing all the things that Spokane will not recycle for my trips to Seattle, where I will, very proudly I might add, recycle them!

However, I got the new Family Fun magazine yesterday and they had a super cute and fun activity for used milk/juice boxes. Any size works, but I just had half-gallon sizes. They took about 3 minutes to make, and Levi loves these little boxes! Family Fun suggests using them to pack school lunches instead of plastic bags, but since we don't do the school thing yet, Levi is using them to store toys and such.

The directions are so easy. Find your boxes...

Cut off the top and half-way down the four sides...
(I made my tops smooth and rounded)
Attach velcro dots to the top lids...
Viola!


4 comments:

Shauna said...

Haha, Levi's face is so funny! I love that kid! Have you made any plane reservations yet???

Andrea said...

That's pretty fancy and quick.

Odd how recycling changes in "tough economic times..."! Anchorage will not recycle lots of things these days. Glass being one of them. :-(

Becca said...

Ben and I are at a loss here too for recycling. There is none! We were told that the city burns all the trash and uses it for energy..ehh. It has been a strange and unsettling adjustment.

The Murray's said...

That's a really cool idea... you could decoupage them!! How cool would that be?

About the recycling... I have a box that I keep all of my cardboard and stuff like that. When we have a fire we burn it.