Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What black cape?


I cannot believe that I have not told the cape story yet. It is pretty funny. If you are the type of person who thinks stories about mothers lying and deceiving their children and husband is funny, this story is for you!

A bit of background...

Around Thanksgiving time, Levi started getting into capes and superheros and such. In fact, he would take his apron, put it on backwards and pretend it was a cape. I noted this and thought that a REAL cape would be the perfect Christmas or birthday present. Since my mother is the expert seamstress, I told her about it. She, of course, said she would make a cape for Levi for Christmas.
The package arrived with Grandpa Jim when he came to visit and the cape was to die for. It was big. It draped over Levi's shoulders just like Darth Vader's cape. It had a large 'L' in the back. It was red.

I could not wait till Christmas, so we let Levi open that present a few days early. Needless to say, he fell in love with it. He wore it everywhere! It was just perfect.

Well, after Christmas, but before New Year's, we took the kids to Toys R Us to pick out a toy with the Christmas money that my grandparents had sent for the kids. Levi picked out this strange Batman gun thing that came with a black cape.

This cape sucked. It was plastic. It was cheap. It was totally unoriginal. But, it was black, and thus the red cape was replaced.

Panic set in; my mother was arriving in a couple days. Levi was now attached to the cheap black cape and the super awesome red cape was history.

Naturally, I did what any mother would do. I hid the black cape and then claimed ignorance the next morning when Levi and Josh looked for it. Not only did I hide it in a really good place, but I still have not disclosed the location of the cape to Josh. In fact, I only confessed to Josh a couple of weeks ago that I was intimately involved with the disappearance of the black cape.

But, my plan worked. Levi forgot about the black cape by the time my mom arrived. Now he wears the red cape all the time. He has totally forgotten about the black cape.

Josh, on the other hand, has not. Every once in a while, he will ask about the black capes whereabouts. Little does he realize how strong I am. I will never tell. Soon, it will go in the trash with all the other useless things when I start the daunting task of packing.

4 comments:

The Murray's said...

you are baaaaaaad!
[img]http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.smileycentral.com%252F%253Fpartner%253DZSzeb008%255FZKxdm011YYUS%2526i%253D23%252F23%255F1%255F116%2526feat%253Dprof/page.html[/img]
hahahahahahaaaaa

The Murray's said...

crap.... that was supposed to be a pic.... oh well. Heehee

James Marcel Patras said...

I wonder if Mom ever did something similar to me...

Ser said...

Ha, ha. My boys are always "losing" things.

I have a funny black cape story, too. Luke got an awesome homemade black cape from Craig's aunt several years ago for Christmas. I thought it would be versatile: superhero, darth vader. Nope. Luke immediately put it on and said he was dracula. All of our pictures of that visit with Craig's relatives show Luke pretending to suck people's blood. What a lovely Christmas memory.

Boys.