Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Mother's Day Planting

This year for Mother's day, I wanted to do some planting. I dream of a large yard where I can garden. But for now, I will settle for boxes. I did learn of a new planting devise called the topsey turvy. Instead of planting vegetables in the ground, you can plant them in these fancy planters that hang up and the plant grows upside down.

Well, I am cheap and I made mine for about $3. So we all went to Lowe's and bought plants. Levi wanted blueberries and strawberries. I wanted yellow pepper and zucchini. Josh wanted tomatoes.


Levi and Josh cut holes into the top and bottom of three two-gallon buckets. With the bucket upside down we placed the plant through the hole in the bottom. Then, very carefully, Josh held the bucket right-side up while I filled it with dirt. Here are the finished products.

These plants have been growing great! I have tomato, strawberry and zucchini buds! Blueberries, well, we will have to wait and see about those! At least there are plenty of u-pick farms in the area!

TOMATO:

ZUCCHINI:
STRAWBERRIES:

4 comments:

The Murray's said...

What a good idea! Do they grow faster since the roots are facing the sun?

The Knight Family said...

That is the idea. It seems that they are growing fast to me! I only planted them a little over four weeks ago!

The Murray's said...

Huh... Cool, I like that. I'll have to try it next year. Or do you think we still have time to do it this year?

James Marcel Patras said...

Your stupid media player interfered with my iTunes! How dare you! Good day! I said good day!