Friday, July 15, 2011

My Birthday

When you go to Homer, you go halibut fishing. I had never been and Josh had a miserable time six years ago when he last went (no halibut, only salmon). We decided to give it a go again, and this time we had enough people for a full boat, six people. My mom, my aunt (mom's sister), my cousin (aunt's daughter), sister-in-law (AK one), Hurricane, and myself were the lucky ones. It just so happened to work out that the only day we could all go together and could get an empty boat, was on my birthday.

We left the house early: 5:45 am. It took about 20 minutes to get into town from my parents house, so these first pictures are taken a bit after six am.



The birthday girl!

On our way to the fishing grounds: We had to drive two hours from Homer harbor to where we were going to fish. It was very long. After we got over the beauty, we mostly slept.



Getting our fish on! My mom caught the first halibut. But I caught the biggest! HA! Birthday luck?

We also caught LOTS of Pacific Cod, skate and one shark. We threw all those back.




Here is our catch!

My halibut was the biggest of the day, estimated to be about 65-70 lbs. I will say 70 lbs. I could not even lift it! The deckhand had to assist. But, it was a fun day!

2 comments:

Becca said...

Wow, Happy Birthday, and great job on the catch!

Xenia Kathryn said...

Happy Birthday, Naomi! God grant you many years :D

I had no idea that halibut was so huge! Looks like you are having a blast.