Monday, August 16, 2010

Fruits and Vegetables

We just got back from our weekly grocery shopping trip. Life is good, now that Trader Joe's is back in my life!

Today I bought my kids champagne grapes. Have you see these? They are teeny tiny miniature grapes and they are delicious. When we got back home and Levi asked for a snack, specifically requested these. Washing them and serving them to my children made me think about my mother.

I grew up in Alaska. Things are quite a bit more expensive up there, simply because something like 99% of goods are shipped from the lower 48 or other parts of the world. It just costs more to buy fruit and milk and cars in Alaska. Growing up, I did not realize this fact. I simply opened the refrigerator and there was cold milk. (Well, most of the time. There was this one winter where our fridge broke and my parents could not afford a new one, so our perishables were kept outside until we could repair the old one.)

Anyway, we always had food. And not just any food, but my mother really tried hard to expose us to a wide variety of foods. I grew up eating pomegranates, avocados, kiwis and champagne grape. We converted to whole grains and brown bread long before it was popular.

Now that I am in charge of grocery shopping and I see how expensive these "exotic" items are, it really makes me think about my mothers good intentions as she purposely paid a lot more money for these fruits... in Alaska... in the late 80's. Thanks Mom!

I am becoming like my parents in other areas too.

Also today we made a visit to the library. We returned a bunch of books that were due today and got a bunch more new ones. However, one book was missing. It was one of Levi's and we knew it was in his room. Once we got back home, I told him he was in charge of finding it. Of course, this prompted a serious panic attack on Levi's part. He swore that he could not find it. Anywhere. Naturally I did not believe him. He has two strikes against him: being a child and incapable of picking up items to look for others, and the classic male-blindness that seems to strike both males in my family.

In desperation I told Levi that he was not allowed to leave his room until his book was found. Hello Mom! But, he found it, like two minutes later.

We are also working on conserving electricity and I am trying to teach my kids to turn off lights when they leave the room, turn off the water when they brush their teeth, and not to wash their hands for 10 minutes.

Levi cannot seem to get the whole "turn off your bedroom light" concept. He ALWAYS leaves it on! I am tempted to try my parents old trick: Each time your bedroom light was left on, you had to pay a parent 25 cents. Since Levi does not have any money, it would just be me paying myself. So for now, I will continue yelling.

6 comments:

Arielle said...

For the lights, my dad would take the lightbulb out whenever we left it on! And he was totally arbitrary about when we'd get it back. Sometimes he'd just unscrew it partway so the light wouldn't turn it on, but if we continued to leave it on, the lightbulb would disappear.

We also weren't allowed to lock our bedroom doors. When I was a teenager, I locked mine all the time and got in trouble. My dad threatened to take the door off the hinges and I didn't believe him. But one day I left it locked while I was at school, and when I got home...there was no door on my room. I didnt' get it back for days!

Erka said...

So true about good food! I am now appreciating my parents efforts to eat a wide variety of vegetables and fruits and we grew up on "black" bread as we called it. Just like you, I LOVE LOVE Trader Joe's and other organic stores.
Good to hear somebody else's kids are struggling about the same things as mine. I keep telling my husband we need to take Julia to the eye doctor, she keeps missing things right under her nose, but then when she wants to she can read the "ToysRus" sign from miles away, before any of us could! I swear I am the "lights nazzi" in my family! I mean, not only it is sad to waste energy, but also the resident's salary is not very big afterall.
I am jelous you found champagne grapes, they have so much flavor.

The Murray's said...

I think I must have paid them over a thousand for leaving lights on... LOL

The Scope Family said...

Its quite funny to read your blogs. Its so ironic today that Sami pulled out a book I never have seen before and told me that Claire gave her this book. So, if you run into a problem where it's claire who cannot find the book, it's at our house.
And, male blindness...... I spent 10 minutes listening to drawer after drawer after drawer slamming back into the dresser, while husband is screaming "I can't find Sami's skirt". I had had enough. Dripping wet, I calmly walked over and pulled the skirt that lay waiting for me on the very top of the same place he looked... 50 times. URRRRRRRRR :) your not alone babe

The Scope Family said...

psssst.... i forgot to mention I was in the shower, that's why I was dripping wet (I don't typically run around the house dripping)... lol

Momading said...

I miss you! :) Just reading about your family and your life... :) I have the same issue with our girls and their lights. GAH! Drives us NUTZ! Closet and room! We use to say something..But no one wanted to take responsibility for being the last one out and so now Aaron just unscrews the lightbulb. Makes for an interesting bedtime routine to say the least.

Severe male blindness.... I wouldn't know anything about that...... NOT! HELLO right in front of your face "whatever it is"! Oh, and if you put your laundry AWAY instead of living out of the basket or off the top of your dresser, you would know where your favorite shirt was or that you were out of socks! Wow, ok, I have pent up stress, much? :o) ~HUGS~