Friday, December 4, 2009

About three days ago, Levi came up to Josh and I and said:

"I am ready to learn math and science. Mom you can teach me math, and Papa, you can teach me science, since Mommy doesn't know any."

He got two things right in that statement. One, he is ready to learn math and science. Two, that I don't know any science. But he also got one thing wrong... that I should be the one to teach him math. Seriously child, I despise math. Always have, always will. I was forced (okay, maybe a tad too harsh of a word) to take algebra I, geometry, AND algebra II in high school. I changed my degree in college from a BS to a BA simply because I could not handle calculus.

But my little Levi, where did your brain come from? Certainly not me. At least not the "intelligence" carrying side. I can definitely lay claim to his creative and sensitive and emotional side though!

For the past three days Levi has been requesting math tests. Yes, you read that correctly. Math Tests.

So I create a test for him with 5-7 questions per test. Any addition problem is fair game, as long as the result is less than ten. He grasped the +1 concept immediately. Now I am working in +2 equations. He is also interested in how many different ways to make a certain number. For example, we will go over the three ways to make six.

1 + 5
2 + 4
3 +3

He thinks this is the greatest! Crazy kid. If you only knew how lame math really is! But, I will keep this secret, since his math skills may support me in my ancient years.

Here is the math test he took today at lunch:

4 comments:

Shauna said...

Wow, that's amazing!!!

Becca said...

That is awesome! Maybe you could buy him math workbooks. You have a little genius on your hands. :)

Erka said...

Levi is amazing! If he keeps it up like this, pretty soon you are going to have to figure out what he's going to do when he goes to school, so he doen't get bored.
Is he going to a private school this Fall?

The Knight Family said...

Erka,
Yes, it is a Greek Orthodox private school in Beaverton. I can't wait! It looks amazing!