Thursday, September 24, 2009

What is in a Name

Warning! This post is about a stupid television show that I am addicted to!!!

Okay, so we all know that I like watching Survivor. It is a bit childish and moronic, but whatever, I still enjoy it, and I will still watch it.

However, there are a few problems with this season thus far. Remember, only two episodes have been shown; There are still another 15 or so to go...

First of all, you know how when you like something or have something that another complete stranger has, you feel this strange connection? I remember when I bought my first brand new car. I got a Saturn. I was so in love with that baby. Ahh, memories. Anyway, as soon as I drove it off the lot, I noticed everybody had a Saturn. They were everywhere! Other drivers would wave and nod their heads at me, just because we were both driving Saturns.

In reality, there were no more Saturns on the road that day than the previous day. I just happened to notice them.

It is the same way with names. I think in my life I have only known one other person named Levi. And he was a brother of a high-school friend, so I don't even know if that counts. Naturally, now that I have a son named Levi, I see that name everywhere. There was a grocery bagger at the Safeway on Roosevelt named Levi. A family in student housing had a baby about a year ago and named him Levi. The family that moved into our old apartment at student housing has a son named Levi. And lately, there is Levi Johnston. Naturally, I like all of these men/boys, simply because of their names.

My father's name was Russell. Levi's middle name is Russell. I like the name Russell. Unfortunately this season of Survivor is starting to give a bad rap to the name that I love. You see, there is a man on Survivor, named Russell of course, who is a complete jerk. He is seriously a conniving ego-maniac. He is already a multi-millionaire, who just wants to be on Survivor to "keep things interesting." He lied to his entire tribe by telling them that his dog that he had for nine years drowned in Hurricane Katrina. He told this sob story about waiting on his roof for two days before he was rescued. All the girls were teary eyed.

Plus, this is really the gross part about Russell, he walks around in his tight boxer shorts. Not a pretty sight ladies! Add to the picture his pot-belly and I think I paint a not too pleasant picture. To make matters worse, Russell teamed up with the second lamest player in Survivor, Ben. Benjamin is my brother's name. Ben is a trash talking, condescending, vindictive baby. The player, not my brother. Jeez.

At least on the other tribe there is another player named Russell who is seriously awesome. Good Russell's team is kicking Bad Russell's team, so Survivor has not spent tons of film time on him. But I get a good feeling; he has dreadlocks.

Anyway, I really cannot stand this Russell character. Ben either. Sorry Carrie!

1 comment:

Carrie McCoy said...

Sweet! My name made your blog. And just to clarify, I also think he is a jerk, but I absolutely love the NEW dimension on an OLD show! :-)