Thursday, March 19, 2009

Match Day Results

I will get right to the point here:

Josh matched at our third choice, OHSU in Portland, Oregon. OHSU is only a four year program, so our first year will be spent in Spokane, WA at Sacred Heart Medical Center.

Josh is so excited! Me too... kind of. The housing market in Portland is not as phenomenal as, oh, let's say Indianapolis, but Portland is a super fun city. Plus there are lots of outdoor activities that will keep up busy.

The act of moving is now secure. I can search for houses, schools, stores, and have a sense of calmness and knowing. Who knows, we may like Portland enough to stay there and not return to the Evergreen State. Even though we are not leaving the Pacific Northwest, we will still continue to do our "Farewell Seattle" tour. The Space Needle is top on that list.

So, Match Day. It was, so unique. Probably 75 medical students and their families crowded into a lobby while the Deans of the Medical School randomly called out the names of students. The student would then walk up, grab their sealed letter, and take it away to be opened. Josh let me open his.

All around us people were crying, tears of joy and sorrow, hugging, and calling mom and dad. This same scene played out in every single medical school across the county, at the same time. Kind of neat.

Now is celebration time. Josh has secured his first job in seven years!

8 comments:

Arielle said...

This is so fantastic! Portland is a wonderful city. I have less experience with Spokane, but we've thought a lot about moving there someday (well, working there and living over the ID border). I've seen really beautiful old houses there.

Congratulations!

Carrie McCoy said...

If Sam could ever move, I am certain he would choose Spokane. He loves that area! So, if you need ideas on where to look for housing there, I am sure he would love to help! Congratulations though! It's nice that you will get to stay in the PNW.

Christine said...

Portland is a cool city. I've only been there a few times, but I like it. Nice playgrounds, great malls. :) We fly in there a lot on our way to the Monastery, so maybe we'll get to see you sometime!

Congrats Josh!

Hannah said...

That is awesome! I'm stoked for all of you! CONGRATS to Josh!!!! I LOVE Spokane, and Portland is pretty rockin! Congrats again, I know it has been quite the process!

Juliana S. said...

Wow, congrats you guys!

Monica Hill said...

Congratulations!!! What an exciting time.

Mrs. H said...

You're moving to my beloved city... You guys will have to come over for dinner every once in a while. Congratulations!

Ser said...

Congratulations! It is so, so hard not knowing what the immediate future holds for your family. So now you know! I haven't made a public blog announcement yet, but Craig just got a tenure track position at Ohio Wesleyan University which is close to where we are right now. We will stay in our community so our kids can stay in their schools, etc.

I have to admit, I was hoping you would wind up in Indianapolis since it is only three hours from us. But what a great place Portland will be for you guys!