Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ice Cream

When I was growing up my mom used to make ice cream by hand. She had a vintage ice-cream maker made out of wood. It looked a lot like this:
She used to make the BEST coffee ice cream! It was absolutely to die for. Every year our church held a fall harvest festival and my mom would make homemade ice cream for the booth and this was the only time that she made coffee ice cream. I would crave it all year...

This is probably the reason why I love coffee ice cream. I have tried a lot of brands too, searching for my favorite. Well, the search is over. I have found the best store brand coffee ice cream! And, it is at my favorite store: Trader Joe's!


Try it... It is SO good.

I am counting down the minutes until it is socially acceptable to eat ice cream... and that is right about now. Bye.

PS Just to be clear, this ice cream, while rich, creamy, and coffee-y, is still not as good as mom's!


7 comments:

Carrie McCoy said...

Naomi, I knew I always likes you! I mean, you watch Survivor and love coffee ice cream! We couldn't be more alike. Infact, my sister and I used to get a pint of Haggan Daas coffee ice cream every Thursday night to eat while we watched Survivor. I'm not joking! :-)

The Knight Family said...

Carrie,
I don't think there is a TJ's in Yakima, but if you guys are ever on this side of the mountains I will treat you! YUMMM....

James Marcel Patras said...

I don't ever remember mom makeing coffee ice cream. I do like coffee ice cream, as well as coffee yogurt, but they don't make it/ it isn't available in AK.

The Knight Family said...

James, you don't remember because I was all done growing up by the time you came around.

The Murray's said...

Yeah, James. I don't really remember the ice cream much either, as I was still young when those festivals were still going on. Naomi, remember the cake walk? And mom always made the snake cake??!! YUM!! That was fun. I wonder why they stopped?
BTW, if you want to have good coffee ice cream, come to the EAST COAST!!! We are the kings (and queens) of coffee flavored anything! :) Coffee milk, iced coffee... You get the picture.

Mom said...

Yes, the ice cream was good, but it has been a while since your parents could eat much ice cream in good conscience.

This means Cyp should have an ice cream maker on hand in July. Mom will bring the receipe with her.

"Challenge authority, but always raise your hand first"
A. Dershiwitz

The Murray's said...

I'll try to find one! :) Sounds fun!