Monday, November 8, 2010

My Latest Project

Our new house has three bedrooms. Between the two rooms that could belong to the children, only one was painted. Since this happened to be the larger of the two rooms, and Levi inherited the queen bed, that room became his. Thus, Claire was left with a plain white room. With pink curtains. Just to jog your memory, this is what it looked like:

Well, I was feeling rather crafty and adventurous, so I decided that it was time to tackle Claire's room. She said she wanted a pink and purple room. Well, we all know those colors won't fly in my house, so we (I) decided on a green, yellow, and purple room. With pink accents.

Sounds terrible right? Well, have a look and see for yourself!

I started with the closet. First, I painted the entire inside and all the trim white. I then painted the one shelf in her closet a deep purple. I also added another shelf, which was painted purple too. I placed this one much lower, in order for her hang up clothes to be accessible.

I also decided to put a chair rail in her room. Here is where I started painting the top color, yellow. Actually, in the sunlight it looks real yellow. However, at night, and with unnatural light, it tends to look bright green. The color is Pear.

Ahh! The green has emerged!

Here is a more complete view. Since we were adding chair rail, we also changed the trim and base in Claire's room to match the rest of the house. Those are all painted white.

Another view...


Here is the first corner that was completed.

I even painted her bed! It was surprisingly easy and I am definitely glad that I decided to do that!

And here is the final project!





What do you think? Claire loves it. I totally love it. I do have some finishing touches to do. Like filling in the nail-gun holes in the trim and base and touch up painting. But otherwise, it is such a fun, bright, and warm room. It is impossible to find sheer purple curtains, so those are ordered and that should complete the effect perfectly.

By the way, the wall with the tree is actually stickers from Ikea. Super fun and super cheap. All those stickers (plus about five more which we did not add) only cost $8!

4 comments:

Shauna said...

Oh my goodness! That room is so darling! You are wonder woman Naomi!

Andrea said...

Very cute!

Monica said...

I really like the room, its great!!!

Erka said...

it looks beautiful, I love it! Very fitting to both yours and Claire's personalities!(I know, I could not paint a room pink in my house either, no matter how badly Julia might want it!)